Monday, February 06, 2006

Oh Dear Oh Dear ....

Yesterday was not a great day for me. It was my first derby game. I guess that says it all. I did not have tickets for the match. My boss took extra efforts in getting the tickets for me and called me up early Sunday morning. And of course, I agreed to go and watch. And what a spectacle it was....my first Norwich v Ipswich match just turned into disaster

I bought the official matchday programme sold outside the ground and was impressed with what it read. The comment from Worthy in the first page was "We all know the importance of today's game and we know what is needed. We now need to go out and make it happen." Pretty impressive isn't it. For the first 25 mins of the game, Norwich City players did not have any clue as to what Worthy meant. At least their performance did not show as much. Ipswich made attack after attack. Good passing with a sense of purpose. I was thinking this was the early-match nerves which Norwich suffers from nowadays. I am sure many would have earned quite a lot of money by betting that Norwich will go down within the first 20 mins. This has happened quite a lot of time, I have forgotten to count it.

Then came a spark from Norwich City. A goal. My mood raised. I thought this was it. I am going to see a victory. But that was not to be. The less I speak of the remainder of the game, the better it is. Here are some salient features:

a) no passing
b) no talking
c) ran throughout the ground chasing balls
d) no possession and if at all Ipswich gifted Norwich possession, we promptly gave it back by mispassing it.

I would not go into more details. They are gory.

I don't criticise Paul McVeigh generally cause I like the way he plays. But yesterday he deserved my special criticism. Well he has the knack of passing the balls quickly, he never keeps with him for long. But sometimes, you as the senior member need to know the determination and need to keep possession of the ball. He was woeful in that regard. I don't share Worthy's critisism of Paul. I feel he deserves respect and recognition of what he does and support to do future things for the club.

Recently I feel our midfield is rubbish. No closing down on player, no chasing of the balls. I am no wonderful football player. But I see enough football to know the importance of the doing the simple things well.

High time Worthy understands that there is something wrong and do something to change it, rather than continue to use his 'Worthy-isms" of "wonderful commitment/work-rate very good/we need to improve" etc etc.

My first derby.....

Do visit www.yarmy.co.uk to read the exclusive fans report on the match.

4 comments:

joolians said...

situation normal balaji. in the last last few seasons, we've been lured into the false expectation that we expect Norwich to actually win a game. Oh well, bring on next Tuesday night. I'm sure we'll win that one. Failing that there's always the following Saturday.

Balaji said...

After seeing what i saw this sunday, i really don't see us reaching the playoffs...I guess we will just be hoping against hope..make mathematics a hobby...pundits predicting this and that....I guess it ain't worth the trouble isn't it?

Craig Deal said...

The next few home games will be interesting as fans are getting more and more pee'd off with worthy, plans for protests, "worthy out" t shirts being made and car stickers are all availible.

Sad times

Lets hope we start winning again soon

sorry that was your 1st derby!

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! mesotherapy before and after Ford explorer engine repair manuel Poptop minivan campers lcd projector Dental plans seniors Mcdu british airways virtual Celebrity interracial couples Accounting degree online villanova Different picture of weight gain pills Build tool cabinet Audi a4 1.9 tdi Cons on video games and imagination Plastic surgeons in chattanooga